Working as an International Student

To work as an international student in Canada you will need to comply accordingly with the following terms.

  • As a full time international student you can work off-campus without a work permit
  • Work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and
  • You can work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • Have a valid study permit
  • Be a full-time student
  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level (Focus College is a Designated Learning Institution)
  • Be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration

Important information:

  • You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the eligibility requirements listed above (e.g., if you’re no longer a full-time student during an academic session)
  • To work in Canada you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You will receive your SIN the same day you apply
  • To get a SIN go to the Service Canada Office in Kelowna with only ONE of these documents:
    • a study permit that states you “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada
    • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to February 6, 2015
    • a work permit (e.g. co-op, post-graduation, or spouse/partner work permit)
Close Menu